For those living with fibromyalgia, after the first year or so, you’re pretty much done with the cocktail of prescription medications and all of their side effects on a mission to get some level of pain relief. You’ve tried various supplements, medications, diets, etc., and nothing has worked long term.
Transformative Health Center provides a holistic approach to chronic pain management and health care that recognizes your physical, mental, and spiritual health.
What Is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a disorder that causes widespread musculoskeletal pain, coupled with:
- Mood instability
- Forgetfulness (fibro fog)
Researchers are convinced that your brain and spinal cord process pain signals in a more amplified way than it should, which is why fibromyalgia sufferers are always in pain and even suffer from painful areas on the body called allodynia.
Did you know that there are about five million US adults, 18 years of age and older, who suffer with fibromyalgia, and up to 90% are women?
What Are the Symptoms Of Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia comes with a plethora of symptoms, including:
Symptoms of fibromyalgia mimic those of arthritis and joint inflammation, and are oftentimes confused. Additionally, fibromyalgia has not been found to cause muscle damage or joint inflammation, as arthritis does. Because scientists and doctors are still learning about FM, some argue that it’s either a rheumatic condition or a central nervous system condition, known to cause soft tissue or myofascial pain.
Transformative Health can help ease your myofascial pain with alternative healthcare, and without all the harsh side effects of prescription and OTC pain relievers. Have you considered CBD to help manage your fibromyalgia pain?
What Is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a chemical compound derived from the cannabis sativa plant — also called marijuana or hemp. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), another chemical found in cannabis, CBD does not cause feelings of being “high”. CBD is believed to trigger serotonin receptors and can help in:
Recent studies show that CBD may also:
Global Research — CBD for Fibromyalgia
Is CBD a good option for managing fibromyalgia? CBD is considered an alternative treatment to help manage pain over the harsh side effects of other pain medications, and is used in the management of reducing inflammation and easing the symptoms of chronic pain.
Earlier Studies — What We Know
A 2011 study focused on 56 individuals with fibromyalgia, with the majority being women.
The study consisted of two groups:
- Group one consisted of 28 individuals who did not indulge in cannabis use
- Group two consisted of 28 individuals who did indulge in cannabis use, but with varied frequency.
After two hours, the group that used cannabis found that:
- Their pain and stiffness was reduced
- A decrease in insomnia
- A small mental health score boost over the non- cannabis using group
The Dutch Also Study Cannabis for Fibromyalgia
The Dutch conducted a study in 2019 that looked at the effects of cannabis on 20 female participants living with fibromyalgia. During the progression of the study, the participants each received four various types of cannabis:
- A potpourri of a non-specific quantity of a placebo that included no CBD or THC
- 200 milligrams (mg) of a mixture of both CBD and THC in high amounts (Bediol)
- 200 mg of various CBD in high quantities of CBD with low doses of THC (Bedrolite)
- 100 mg of various CBD in low amounts with higher amounts of THC (Bedrocan)
The researchers discovered that the impromptu pain percentages of participants who used the potpourri of placebo was synonymous with the impromptu pain scores of participants who used non-placebo variations.
Israel Studies CBD and Fibromyalgia, Too
In a 2019 Israeli study, hundreds of individuals suffering with fibromyalgia were monitored for a minimum of 6 months, with 82% being women. The participants were counseled by medical staff prior to being given medical marijuana. Participants started with a low dose of cannabis, which gradually increased over the six-month study period.
CBD Treatment Options
CBD/Marijuana can be consumed in many ways, including:
- Smoking/vaping — Provides almost immediate pain relief, and the effects can last for up to three hours. Smoking and vaping allows you to inhale the CBD directly into your bloodstream and lungs.
- Edibles — Edibles are foods, mostly desserts, cooked with marijuana, or cannabis-infused oil or butter. Using CBD this way takes a little longer to experience pain relief than smoking or vaping, however, the effects of edibles tend to linger for up to six hours.
- Oil Extracts — CBD Oils can be applied directly to your skin, taken by mouth, or placed under your tongue until dissolved and absorbed into your mouth tissues.
- Topical — CBD oils can also be integrated into lotions, creams and balms for direct skin application. Amazingly enough, products made with CBD can effectively reduce your inflammation and pain.
There is currently no cure for fibromyalgia, there is, however, a plethora of medications that may assist in controlling your symptoms and flares, while supplying you with unwanted side effects.
If you’re living with fibromyalgia, and have been curious about alternative health and wellness for pain management, or if you simply have questions about how alternative medicine can help you, schedule your visit with Transformative Health Center today. We look forward to helping you feel better — living your best life in the most holistic way possible.